The Powergirls programme is implemented in partnership with one of our long term partners- Kinderfonds MAMAS. The programme serves 48 girls from disadvantaged communities and is aimed at empowering vulnerable girls to become proud, strong and responsible young women. These girls receive weekly intensive and inspiring workshops on future-oriented themes such as friendship, sexuality, health, respect and fairness. Through discussion, music and theatre they regain access to emotions that have often been closed off.
The programme covers some of the challenging themes for adolescent girls
- Appearance (Body and Hair)
- Peer pressure
- Substance use
- And other societal challenges that affect these girls.
The programme also involves the young girls in activities that promote environmental conservation and protection. It also looks at issues of safety specifically designed for girls residing in informal settlements or rural areas.
Who can attend Powergirls?
- Girls from disadvantaged areas
- Girls between the ages of 9 to 16 years
The programme offers the following:
The Girls meet every Friday from 13h00 to 15h30
- focuses on girls from the ages of 9 to 12 years
- focuses on girls from the ages of 13 to 16 years