Abuse happens everywhere
Abuse happens in every culture, age, race, nationality and socio-economic level. It happens in both heterosexual and LGBTQ relationships, and among family members.
- Are you frightened by your partner’s temper?
- Are you afraid to disagree?
- Do you have to justify everything you do, every place you go, or every person you see to avoid someone’s anger?
- Does your partner put you down and then tell you that they love you?
- Do you stay away from friends or family because your partner will be jealous?
- Have you been forced into having sex when you didn’t want to?
- Are you afraid to break up because others have threatened to hurt you or themselves?
- Does your partner hurt you?
- Do you feel intimidated or controlled by your partner’s or your own extended family?
- Does someone withhold medication that you need to stay healthy?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you might be suffering abuse.
FORMS OF GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE
- Physical Violence
- Sexual Violence
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Emotional, Verbal and Psychological Abuse
- Economic Abuse
- Damage to property may include
Social Work, OVC and Community Development programme is aimed at providing response and support to people that experience any form of Gender-Based Violence. They do this by providing counselling for abused women, children and those who are at risk and their families, as well as support for a range of family problems, and making appropriate referrals for more specialized services e.g. youth with drug problems to SANCA. The Programme also offers a Grief & loss counselling support group once a week for orphaned and vulnerable children that are exhibiting poor academic performance and behavioural problems resulting from the loss of a parent or caregiver.
We also have a tailored support group for the caregivers of the children in our grief and loss support group to equip them with skills to support these children.
In our efforts to end the scourge of Gender-Based Violence perpetrated against women and children Etafeni freely provides the following services:
- Counselling (Individual, Face to Face and Telephone Counselling)
- Trauma Counselling,
- Play Therapy
- Family Counselling
- Positive Parenting Activities
- Child Safeguarding and
- Support Groups and
- Court Preparation and Court Support